Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Trash Day at Bumin...

Every Thursday is trash day at my school. Since there are no janitors here, the students are in charge of emptying each classroom's trash and recycling. The same three girls have been taking my trash every Thursday since I got here. The kids are also in charge of cleaning the school and are each given daily chores. I think it's genius. Not only is the government saving money by not hiring full time janitors, but they are teaching the kids responsibility at the same time.
This is Jason. If I had to peg one student to be the next president of Korea, it would be him. I taught his 6th grade class the game "duck duck goose" the other day. Everyone had been the goose except for one girl who none of the kids like. No one would even touch her head as they passed by her. I whispered to Jason that he would be the duck last and that he should pick her. He didn't ask me questions, he just smiled and said OK and when he picked her he made sure to make good contact. It made her day that the most popular kid in school chose her.
These little guys are in 1st grade.
These 6th graders had to sweep the dirt off the pathways around the playground this morning. Check out those brooms they use. I expect Harry Potter and the Wicked Witch of the West to come back for those any day now.

1 comment:

  1. For some reason, I can't imagine 5th grade Aaron Osteen cleaning up and throwing out the school's trash...

    ReplyDelete