Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Part 2: The Philippines

Sorry for the delay between blog posts. I assure you I am alive and well. I seriously need to step up my blogging game and start updating it more regularly. My amazing friend Jill has one of the best blogs I have ever seen that she updates several times a day about her life here in Korea. Her love of blogging and educating her friends and family back home on all things Korean has inspired me. So, I have issued myself a challenge to write one blog post per day for the remainder of my time here. There is so much that I see in my everyday life that most of you would find interesting that I would be doing a disservice by not blogging about it.
As I have mentioned, the Philippines was amazing and thankfully I got to see it before the typhoons swept through. The second part of my trip was spent on Bohol and Panglao Islands. I spent 5 days there exploring the islands and basically just relaxing on the beach, snorkeling, and enjoying the amazing Filipino food and culture. Some highlights are below. I finally added all of my Philippines pictures to my photobucket page so you can go check those out. The link is at the top of the blog on the right hand side.

This little guy is a tarsier. Tarsiers are the world's smallest primates and are critically endangered. They only live in remote areas of Bohol Island where I was staying. This little guy was in a road side sanctuary about the size of a 2 car garage. There were about 25 tarsiers there and it's free to the public to see them. They are about the size of a closed fist.

This handsome young man is standing in front of the Chocolate Hills. About 200,000 years ago the land behind me was under water. When the ocean receded, this is what was left. The hills are actually coral deposits that formed over thousands of years. They get their name because the grass on them turns brown in the winter, thus making them look like chocolate.



I spent the majority of my time being very productive as you can see.



The sunsets were spectacular.



This was my mode of transportation on Bohol. Most of the locals drive scooters so I fit right in.




This is Hinagdanan Cave. Just your typical cave with crystal clear water and thousands of screeching bats.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, good thing I didn't hold my breath for this post to finally come! Putting aside the fact that it took you WAY TOO LONG TO WRITE THIS, I loved it! I'm also really proud of your new challenege to write everyday and am hoping I'm not right about your love for contradicting yourself! Prove me wrong Osteen!

    ReplyDelete