Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Day Trip w/ my Teacher Class

This post is about 3 months too late but I am struggling for blogging ideas today (and it's only the first day of my challenge!). Every Tuesday and Thursday I teach my co workers English. So, as a token of their appreciation a few of them took me to lunch on June 23rd ( I told you I am late). We all met at school and drove about 1 1/2 hours north of Busan to the restaurant they had chosen. We ate steamed duck which was cooked in a pumpkin. It was one of the best meals I have had since I've been here. After lunch we drove another hour to the city of Ulsan and had coffee on some cliffs overlooking the Sea of Japan. They speak English pretty well and can understand most of what I say, although sometimes they still nod like they understand even though I'm pretty sure they are really confused.


From left to right: Shining, Ji Young, myself, Mina, Candy. For the record, they asked me to squat down like this so I didn't make them look so short.


Our group minus Ji Young who was taking the picture. You can see the pumpkin filled with duck, delicious.



This is a traditional Korean game. I have no idea what it is called but the idea is to throw the sticks into the big piece of bamboo.



Mina challenged me to a game. It looked really easy since you stand like 3 feet from the bamboo but I assure you it wasn't. I am not afraid to admit that she beat me, but if you look closely at this picture, her foot is clearly over the throwing line. Next time the two of us are around this game, there will be a rematch.


Ji Young made this collage of our outing. The upper left picture is a man smacking some rice with a giant mallet to make rice cake, which just happens to be my least favorite Korean food.

No comments:

Post a Comment