Sunday, October 25, 2009

HORSE!

A few weeks ago I bought a basketball with the hopes that I would find a court and start playing again. As luck would have it, there are two courts within a 5 minute walk of my apartment. On Sunday, Jill and I decided to go and play a friendly game of HORSE. Has anyone ever wondered why the game is called HORSE and not a word that is slightly more relevant? I guess you could substitute HORSE for any word you wanted to, like CONUNDRUM or SCHENANIGANS. For those of you who are not familiar with this particular game, let me enlighten you. Horse is played with two people. The first person shoots from a location they select on the court. If that person makes the shot, the second person must make the same shot or will inherit an "H". If the first person misses the shot, then the second person gets a chance to take any shot they want. This trend continues until one person spells out HORSE and loses. Since Jill hasn't played basketball in a while, I was a gentleman and altered the rules a tad in order to make it slightly more fair. Our rules were as follows: if her shot touched the rim, it was considered a make. I would then have to make the same shot in order to not collect a letter. If her shot went in, I would have to swish the ball in order not to collect a letter. She was actually a lot better than she gave herself credit for and ended up beating me. There will be a rematch! While we were playing, a few of my students and their Mom walked by the court and gave me a big slice of rice cake she had in her purse. I don't like rice cake, but it's always nice to see how much they appreciate us being here and teaching their kids.
Who's the big winner?

What fun is HORSE without a little creativity? In case you were wondering, I made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment