Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Traveling is for the birds...

First, let me confirm that I arrived safely to Incheon International Airport yesterday at 5pm local time (3am EST) yesterday. Incheon is an island located an hour by subway west of Seoul. I boarded the plane in Atlanta at 10:15am on Tuesday morning with a 10:45 departure. All seemed to be going well until the pilot came on the PA at 10:40am and announced that one of my fellow passengers had decided at the last minute to not make the trip to South Korea. Now, under normal circumstances this wouldn't have been a big deal, but since all of the pasengers luggage had already been miticulously placed beneath the plane, the crew had to go in and locate this individuals bags. The flight was very near full which means there were close to if not more than 300 people aboard. Each passenger was allotted two checked bags and I was never good at math but that is a lot of luggage to search through to locate two bags that I'm sure looked just like the other 600 on board. Long story short, the crew located the bags after an hour of searching and we took off around noon. The actual flight itself, which took 15 hours was fairly uneventful. I sat next to a Korean guy who watched Nights in Rodanthe twice and High School Musical 3 once. Did I mention this person was male and in his 30's? The gentleman next to him slept at least 13 of the 15 hours we were in the air. This was no small feat as I took a sleep aid and only managed to sleep an hour the entire flight. After we landed I learned that he works for the World Health Organization and had been on five different continents in the past 10 days. That explained his commotose state. Once I went through customs and collected my bags, I headed outside for my first taste of Korean air. I am not real sure what I was expecting South Korea to look like but I was not as shocked as I originally thought I would be. Aside from everyone being Korean, speaking Korean, and the signage being written in Korean, this place could pass for most cities in America. So far all the Koreans I have come in contact with have been very friendly and super helpful. I was lucky to have bumped into the recruiter I used to obtain this teaching job after I arrived to the hostel last night. He (who is based in Vancouver and is in town to help his clients get settled) and one of his Korean friends took me and another fellow American into Incheon City for our first Korean meal. It consisted of noodles in a dark brown sauce with various bits of seafood tossed in for good measure. It was very good and only cost around 6,000 korean won, which is about $4 dollars. I crashed after we got back around 9pm and was wide awake at 4am this morning. Thankfully I don't feel terrible like most people said I would. Obviously my body knows something is off but I am trying not to think about the time difference. I will stay at the hostel again tonight and will catch a bus to Cheonan City tomorrow morning for orientation. Look for an update within the next week. Hope everyone is well!

1 comment:

  1. thanks for the update. glad to hear you arrived safe -- keep the postings coming!!

    ReplyDelete