Today we took a little break from the lectures and went to visit a Korean Folk Village. We loaded into charter buses and drove about an hour to Yong-In City to visit the village. Obviously I was a first timer to a "traditional" Korean folk village so my initial thoughts were of little old Korean ladies churning butter or grinding flour on a stone wheel. I soon realized that the folk village was nothing more than a tourist destination that I liken to visiting the Cherokee Indian Reservation. It was even complete with a theme park (see image below). Our tour guide was a well dressed older Korean gentleman whose English was limited so our group did a lot of head nodding as if we had some clue as to what he was saying. The highlight of the day, aside from the bumper cars, was the traditional Korean performances which included some music and dance, see-saw flyers, a tightrope walker and some equestrian "feats" as described in the brochure. I didn't take any pictures of the village itself, however I did take some shots of the performances along with some video. You can check out the village at http://www.koreanfolk.co.kr/
Our tour guide.Recognize these people? This mural was on a ride at the theme park in the village.
They took see-sawing to a whole new level.
A little Korean song and dance.

No comments:
Post a Comment