So far orientaion is going really well. I have met some very interesting people from all over the world. They each have a different story to tell as to why they ended up in South Korea to teach English. Some of them have taught abroad before and some have never left the country they came from. Korea's national motto is "Dynamic Korea" and I am starting to figure out why. Korea is a constantly evolving country and has come a long way in the 50 or so years since the Korean War. It went from being one big rice field into a major global economy in a very short time. Since arriving I have had the chance to talk to a few native Koreans who speak good English and I have been very impressed with their level of knowledge on all things American. One guy (who chose the western name Mike, since he was a big Michael Jordan fan) in particular knew more about American politics than I could dream of knowing. He knew all of Obama's cabinet members and what they did but I was particularly blown away when he started spurting off the Declaration of Independence from memory. Mike also asked me if I was related to Stone Cold Steve Austin (the wrestler) as well, but I informed him that "Osteen" and "Austin" were pronounced totally different and that the only thing we had in common, aside from our massive musculature is a nicely shorn head. I have seen quite a few Korean guys wearing hats and shirts with different American sports teams represented but most of them have no clue who the team actually is. I saw one Korean guy wearing a US Army hat so I pointed at his head and gave him a thumbs up but he didn't seem to catch on to the acknowledgement. I am heading into Cheonan City tonight for a traditional Korean meal and my first taste of soju. If you aren't familiar with soju, google it, it's the Korean's beverage of choice.
Starship’s Robots To Now Deliver Packages
6 years ago

Still cant believe you did it but Im very happy for you and know you will love the experience and truly appreciate it! Be safe! Oh good luck with that soju sounds potent :)
ReplyDeletegreat job of capturing everything, you have been there one week and we have discovered a writer in you already.
ReplyDeleteHope things are well. Keep them coming.
Watch out for the soju...it'll knock your socks off after a few rounds.
ReplyDelete