Thursday, April 1, 2010

Football...in Korea!

As you might imagine, American football isn't very poplar in Korea. The most well known player around these parts is Hines Ward, and not because Koreans like ketchup. Hines is half Korean so everyone here is a big fan. This morning I decided to bring my football to school with me so I could give the kids a little cultural lesson. There is a 30 minute break everyday after lunch so the kids can run around and be crazy before class starts back so I brought the football and my camera out to the field to document their virgin football experience. When they saw the ball, the all said "Oh, rugby ball." The former native English teacher at my school was from Scotland so I think he may have brought a rugby ball to school. After a short demonstration of how to throw and kick, I let them run wild with it. I'll have to admit, some of them had pretty good arms and could throw a decent spiral despite the fact that it's an NFL size football and they have tiny hands.

A few 3rd graders posing with the "rugby ball."



The first lesson was how to throw. Some of them had pretty good arms and could throw a decent spiral even though the ball was way too big for their tiny hands.



This is Paul. He spent a few months studying English in New York and is basically fluent. He starts off every sentence with "So, like..." On the first day of school this year I let the kids ask me questions. I was getting the typical, "Whats your favorite color" and "Whats your favorite animal" questions until Paul stood up and asked "So, like what airline did you take when you came to Korea?"



After we threw for a bit I taught them how to punt. They were big fans and all wanted their picture taken while the kicked the ball.




Then it was my turn to show my punting skills. They would all stand at the other end of the field and try to catch the ball but most of them were afraid of it and would just run away when it came down.



A few of them had obviously seen a game before and were running around with the ball eluding tacklers. This kid had some pretty good moves.



Until the kid in the blue tackled him. He was a good sport and helped his friend up.



I think the first day of football was a success. I am definitely going to bring the ball back for a second round of action.

1 comment:

  1. So... like... I LOVE IT! hahaha! Your pictures are awesome!!! I miss seeing your photography skills in action! So glad you had so much fun playing with the boys. They are lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete