Tuesday, April 20, 2010

After School Classes

This year I am teaching three after school club classes each week. One of them is a 4th grade club class in which I teach a rotation of the six 4th grade classes at my school each week. I teach the 4th graders alone during my regular English class so I have developed a raport with them and enjoy teaching them. The second class is a club class for 4th, 5th and 6th grade students. I teach them every Friday and have 20 students in the class. Most of them are students that spend a lot of time in my office everyday getting to know me so they love to participate and learn. That class is a lot of fun even thought their level is pretty low. The 3rd class is for 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade students and meets on Wednesdays. This class is an absolute disaster! I originally had 20 students sign up which is a lot of kids for that age group for one person to control, much less a person who doesn't speak Korean. Then, I show up for our second class and all of a sudden I have 35 little ones! I figured there must have been a mistake made and that some of them were in the wrong place but to my amazement my class had grown by 15 students in a week! So now I have 35 snot nosed, screaming kids to teach, or babysit, however you want to look at it. I tried to teach them stand up and sit down the other day and once they finally grasped the idea of standing up, half of them stood up on their desks or chairs. I had to physically remove them one by one and place them on the floor. It was pretty chaotic the first two classes but today I think I made some headway. I figured out that the little ones love stickers and stamps, so I started stamping their hands whenever they did something well or were just being quiet and paying attention. Pretty soon I had a class full of kids covered in purple Hello Kitty stamps. One kid had stamps on his nose, cheeks, forehead and chin, but I was happy to dish them out if they were being good. The silver lining to these classes is that I get paid 10,000 won per student, so I say bring em on. I hope to take some video next class so you can witness the craziness!

No comments:

Post a Comment