Thursday, February 18, 2010

Final Class!

Today has been a little bittersweet for me. I taught my last class of the school year just now which means I successfully made it as a teacher in Korea for an entire year. It seems like yesterday I was standing in front of 30 black haired kids, scared to death, about to teach my first class. My first year in Korea has been a series of challenges, most of which have had a positive outcome. I have learned a lot about myself and have discovered my passion for education. I have learned to be patient and to always expect the unexpected. I have learned to find the good in every seemingly bad situation. I have learned to communicate effectively using minimal words or no words at all. I have learned to adapt to my surroundings and accept the cultural differences that I may not fully understand. Perhaps most importantly, I have learned to escape my comfort zone, even though sometimes I have had no choice but to.

I will be teaching at a new school this coming year and living in a new apartment, in a new part of the city. While I am sad to be leaving my current school and the kids I have come to know so well, I am excited about the challenges that await me at my new school.

No comments:

Post a Comment