A week ago I was informed that I would be conducting English classes after school for the teachers. Today was our first class and it went really well. Originally I had 11 teachers sign up for the class which is going to meet on Tuesday and Thursday but only 6 showed today. Included in those 6 was my principal who is a fantastic lady and showed me a different side today than I normally see on a daily basis. My first order of business during class was for the teachers to chose a western name that they will go by during class. Here are the names that they chose: Grace (my principal), Sally, Candy, Mary, Mina, and Shining. As soon as the lady chose the name Shining it was all I could do not to laugh but I bit my tongue and told her it was a lovely name. I then had each teacher/student write down three interesting facts about themselves and present them to the class. One of the facts on three of the teacher's lists was "I am single." And I am fairly certain they weren't letting the other teachers in on this secret considering everyone but me was female. The overall English proficiency level of the teachers in the class is pretty good so that will make teaching them a lot easier. The night before our class met I was invited out to dinner by one of the teachers who was going to be participating in the class. She informed me that her husband, Kim, really wanted to meet me to practice his English. I couldn't turn down a free meal so I accepted the invite and had a lovely evening with them and their three year old daughter, who was the cutest kid I have ever seen. Tonight, I got a call from Kim, and he told me that his wife really enjoyed our class and that he thought I was the greatest teacher on earth. I wanted to tell him that he didn't have to butter me up to get me to agree to meet with him again for some English practice. As long as there is a free meal involved I am happy to speak in my native tongue for a few hours. I am working hard to learn Korean but it is a pretty tough language. I have mastered the vowel characters and am working on the consonants, then comes putting them together to make an actual sound. After that I will be able to read Korean, which doesn't really help at all since I won't know what the words I am reading mean. I will keep you posted on my progress. Keep an eye out for a post with some pictures of my students.
Starship’s Robots To Now Deliver Packages
6 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment