Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Going with the flow

Since I arrived in Korea over a month ago, I have been humbled by the Korean peoples generosity, kindness and willingness to help me in any way, shape or form.  My co-teachers have been my Korean angels since I got to Busan.  They have helped me accomplish everyday tasks that back home are considered common errands.  For example, I needed to mail something to the US today, so they took me to the post office and made sure it was mailed properly.  They also took me to the bank today so I could get a debit card for my Korean bank account.  All of these tasks are very easily accomplished in your home country, but for a person who doesn't speak the native language they can be daunting chores.  Even a trip to the grocery store turns into a 2 hour ordeal.  I have found it best to keep an open mind and to go with the flow and have accepted that life here is going to be a series of challenges.  However, going with the flow is sometimes tough to do.  Take today for example.  I had a good day of work, and taught my teacher class at 3.  After the class was over, one of the teachers invited me to go on a field trip with the other teachers the following day to take part in the cherry blossom festival.  I was a little shocked I had not previously heard of the event already but I ignored it and told her that I would love to go.  She was excited and told me she wanted to take some pictures with me once we got there.  All was well, or so I thought.  Once the teachers left I told my co-teacher that I was just asked to attend a school function that I had not previously heard about.  The look on her face told me that there was something going on.  She speaks very good English and was perfectly capable of explaining whatever it was that she was thinking, but she chose instead to ask me to wait a second and ran off.  When she came back to my office, our PE teacher, who has become a good friend of mine was with her.  He said he needed to tell me something and that I should sit down.  By this time I am a little freaked out with the situation and if we were in the US I would have bet money they were about to tell me that someone close to me had died.  He doesn't speak very good English at all so he rambled off a few sentences that were a mix of very bad English and Korean.  Typically, my co-teacher would have translated what he said so I could understand him but she just sat there with a somber look on her face.  Finally, my other co-teacher came into my office and was able to fill me in on the situation.  I was informed that my principal thought it would be in my best interest that I not be able to attend any functions with the other teachers.  Initially I was surprised that they took so long and were so afraid to tell me this.  She told me that the principal was concerned about my well being since I had gotten food poisoning the last time I went out with the other teachers.  They continued to express to me that she (the principal) was looking out for me by making this decision. Obviously, I didn't share the same sentiment.  I bit my tongue and let them finish their explanation.  When they were finally done, I had deciphered that the principal was merely looking out for herself, and was taking any liability away from the school if I was to get seriously sick or injured while on a school function.  Hopefully she really does have my best interest at heart but I find it hard to believe that she is looking out for me by removing me from any social interaction with my co-workers.  I may never know her actual reasoning behind this decision but this is the first instance (and I am sure not the last) that I felt like an outsider in Korea.

No comments:

Post a Comment