Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Dr. Fish

Let me start by saying how amazed I am that I have been here for four months. It seems like yesterday I was getting off the plane in Seoul, scared out of my mind. I never would have imagined that Korea would become so comfortable. There is never a shortage of strange sights, interesting events and amazing people to get to know. Last Wednesday, my "friend" Kelsey and I went out for coffee and to experience the phenomenon known as Dr. Fish. Dr. Fish exists in the US but most states are banning it due to health concerns. I could go about describing Dr. Fish in many ways, but I am going to let the pictures speak for themselves and just tell you that you pay to submerge your feet in ankle deep water, to have hundreds of small fish eat your dead skin. The fish don't have teeth, so it doesn't hurt, but it is slightly uncomfortable at first and feels a little like dozens of needle pricks. Many people swear by this method for getting rid of dry skin or other skin ailments. I, on the other hand, will not become a regular customer but did enjoy the experience. And to give you a little price comparison between Dr. Fish in Korea and in the States, we paid 2,000 won ($1.75) for 30 minutes compared to as much as $50 in the States for the same amount of time. Korea is good on the wallet!

There is 27 years of dead skin build up on those feet for the fish to enjoy.

The fish liked Kelsey's feet better than mine.

Kelsey would only go one foot at a time. It took the Korean girls behind her about 20 minutes to stick a foot in the water and the fish in their tank were half the size of ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment